Helps you pay to get your dogs and cats spayed or neutered.
Special Note About VSNIP
This program is funded by a $4.00 fee added to the cost of licensing a dog in Vermont. Program funds are limited by the number of dogs that are licensed each year.
Dogs are legally required to be licensed by the age of 6 months, and they must have a rabies vaccine to get a license. They should get their first rabies vaccine between the age of 12 weeks and 6 months.
Who Is Eligible
To be eligible, you must:
- Live in Vermont.
- Have acquired your pet for free or just a small fee.
- Get certain public benefits or have household income at or below 185% of Federal Poverty Guidelines.
If Your Application Is Approved
- You'll get vouchers that allow you to get your dogs/cats spayed or neutered for a $27 copay per animal.
- You'll need special approval if you request assistance for more than five animals in a year. The program is 100% funded by a surcharge on dog registrations so funds are limited.
How To Apply
- Print the application or save it on your computer. You don't have to print it in color.
- If you don't have a printer, see the instructions for getting a paper application below.
- Complete the application by hand or electronically and then sign it.
- Mail your completed application, along with supporting documents and a self-addressed, stamped envelope, to the address below.
- If your application is complete, it will be processed within five (5) business days.
***If You Need A Paper Application***
Send the following to VSNIP, PO Box 104, Bridgewater, VT 05034:
- Your request for an application. Indicate if it's for a cat, dog, or both.
- A self addressed, stamped envelope (i.e., one that has your name & address written in the middle of it and a stamp affixed to the top right corner).
How The Program Works
- Your application is not approved until you get the voucher in the mail.
- Once you get your voucher, make an appointment with a participating vet right away.
- The voucher must be used within 60 days.
- If the surgery cannot be done within the 60 days, call VSNIP at (802) 672-5302 to get an extension.
It’s Very Important That You
- Keep your appointment.
- Call right away if you need to reschedule.
- Bring the voucher and $27 copay to the vet's office —on or before the day of the surgery.
- Print this list of things to remember before the surgery.
What Your Copay Covers
Your copay covers a pre-surgical exam, pain management before and during surgery, the surgery, an overnight stay if needed, a distemper vaccine series, one rabies vaccination and suture removal after surgery.
It does not cover:
- Pain management after surgery
- Optional procedures such as a blood panel
- Procedures associated with complications that arise during or after surgery (e.g., animal in heat or pregnant, fleas & ticks, parasites, infection and incision repair)
Ask about all possible charges that are not covered by VSNIP — before the surgery. You may decline any recommended optional procedures and consult with other vets.
Where To Learn More
Call 1-844-448-7647 or (802) 672-5302.
RESOURCES For Applicants
VSNIP, PO Box 104, Bridgewater, VT 05034 • 1-844-448-7647 • (802) 672-5302