Crisis Fuel

fuel deliveryCrisis Fuel Assistance can help you with a heating crisis during the winter months. 

Who is eligible?

Your household income can be up to 200% of the federal poverty level.  In addition to being income eligible, you must show that you're experiencing a crisis (e.g., you are out of fuel or very close to running out of fuel and have no money to buy more).

What help is available?

If you're eligible, Crisis Fuel Assistance may help you to:

  • Purchase the primary source of your heat (e.g., electricity, kerosene, natural gas, oil, propane, or wood)
  • Purchase electricity if it's required to run your heating system
  • Have your furnace repaired or replaced
  • Negotiate payment plans
  • Work with your electric or natural gas company to prevent disconnection

When do I apply?

  • For households that heat with bulk fuels (e.g., oil, kerosene, propane, wood, pellets and coal), you can apply starting the last Monday in November to the second Friday in April.
  • For households that heat with metered fuels (e.g., natural gas, electric or metered propane service), you can apply starting the last Monday in November to the last regular working day in April.

Do not wait until you have run out of fuel to apply as fuel dealers often charge a special trip fee for emergency deliveries. We cannot help you if the fuel has already been delivered or the furnace work has been completed.

How do I apply?

You must apply in person at your local Community Action Agency. Please call the agency first, so they can tell you what documents and information you will need to bring.

If you are elderly or disabled and can't apply in person, your local agency may accept your application by phone.

On Weekends & Holidays

If you are elderly, disabled or have a child under 6 living in your household:

  • You may call 1-800-479-6151 toll-free  — on weekends and holidays — to apply for emergency heating assistance.
  • You can only do this starting the last Saturday in November until the first Sunday in April.

If you are granted assistance on a weekend or holiday, you’ll need to follow up by completing an application at your local Community Action Agency. If you don’t complete an application, you might not get assistance in the future.