Child-Only Reach Up provides cash assistance to help eligible adults care for the minor, dependent children of relatives or family friends.
How these situations happen
These situations, known as kinship care, can happen when the parents are:
- Separated from their children for long periods of time— either by choice or circumstance (e.g., substance abuse, incarceration, mental illness, extreme physical illness, or military deployment)
- Unwilling or unable to provide their children with safe, appropriate care
It can happen through both informal and formal arrangements (e.g., legal guardianship or legal custody).
Who is eligible
• Under 18
• Not receiving SSI
• Not in foster care
• With little or no income of their own
• Living with and being cared for by someone other than a biological, step or adoptive parent, including:
- Relatives (e.g., grandparents, aunts, uncles, older siblings and cousins)
- Non-related adults who have a family-like bond with the children and parents
The help available
Eligible caretakers receive monthly cash assistance (called a caretaker grant).
How to apply
You can apply one of three ways:
- ONLINE: Click here to go to our online application.
- BY MAIL: Call 1-800-479-6151 or visit a district office to get a paper application.
- IN PERSON: Apply in person at your local district office.
Special instructions for answering questions on the paper application (ESD202) - if the only program you're applying for is a child-only Reach Up grant:
Question 1. Write your information here.
Question 2: Check the Reach Up box. Write "child-only" next to the Reach Up box if using a paper application.
Question 3: Answer this question for yourself.
- For Person #1: Write your own information here. Under Applying For, check "None".
- For Person #2: Write the information for the child you are applying for. Under Applying For, check "Reach Up". Write in "child-only" next to the Reach Up box if using a paper application.
- Other Persons: List all other people living in the home. Under Applying For, check "None" for everyone else in the household.
- Answer all the remaining questions that have the Reach Up icon as if you were the child.
- To get the maximum benefit to help support the child, answer that the child pays you rent at $540/month under Question 40.
- Complete the Shelter Statement- Form 202H with you, the caretaker, as the “landlord” and the child as the ”tenant.”
- If you are applying online, please indicate that you are applying for a child-only Reach Up grant in the comments section.
- If you are applying for other programs in addition to a child-only grant, please contact us by phone or in person (see below) for advice on completing the application.
Get answers to your questions
- Call 1-800-479-6151 (Monday to Thursday, 8AM to 5:45 PM, Fridays, 8AM – 4:15 PM)
- Visit your local district office
- Contact one of these organizations that can help
- Print the Child-Only Reach Up Rackcard
Other available resources
Children who get Child-Only Reach Up may also be eligible for: