Provides cash assistance to help eligible adults care for the minor, dependent children of relatives or family friends.
Who is eligible
To be eligible, a child must:
- Be under 18 (with a few exceptions*)
- NOT be getting SSI benefits
- NOT be in foster care
- Have little or no income of their own
- Be living with/cared for by someone other than a legal, step or adoptive parent
In some situations, additional factors will be considered. Contact us to learn more.
* A full-time HS student expected to graduate before their 19th birthday is eligible through the month of graduation.
* A full-time HS student who is disabled is eligible through the month of graduation or 19th birthday, whichever is first.
The help available
Eligible caretakers receive monthly cash assistance (called a caretaker grant).
How to apply
SUBMIT IT ELECTRONICALLY:
- OPEN the fillable Caretaker Application for Child-Only Reach Up.
- DOWNLOAD it to your computer before you start filling it out.
- FIND it on your computer. OPEN and COMPLETE it.
- SIGN by typing your name into the signature boxes on pages 11 and 12.
- SAVE it.
- USE the AHS Document Uploader to send your application and any required supporting documents securely — from your computer, phone or tablet.
SUBMIT A PAPER COPY:
- Call 1-800-479-6151 or visit a district office and ask for a copy of the Caretaker Application for Child-Only Reach Up (202CARE).
- Fill it out and SIGN it.
- Mail it to the address on the application or drop it off at a district office.
If you want to apply for 3SquaresVT, Essential Person, Fuel Assistance or Reach Up for yourself, you must use our regular 202 application. Call 1-800-479-6151 or go to mybenefits.vt.gov.
Get answers to your questions
- Call 1-800-479-6151 (Monday to Thursday, 8AM to 5:45 PM, Fridays, 8AM – 4:15 PM)
- Visit your district office
- Contact one of these organizations that can help
- Print the Child-Only Reach Up Rackcard
Other available resources
Children who get Child-Only Reach Up may also be eligible for: