Provides cash assistance to help adults care for the minor, dependent children of relatives or family friends.
Who Is Eligible
To be eligible, a child must:
- Be under 18 (with a few exceptions*)
- NOT be getting SSI benefits
- NOT be in foster care
- Have little or no income of their own
- Be living with/cared for by someone other than a legal, step or adoptive parent
In some situations, additional factors will be considered.
If Your Application Is Approved
You will receive monthly cash assistance (called a caretaker benefit).
How To Apply
- Download the fillable application on your computer.
- Open the form and complete it.
- Type your name into the signature boxes on pages 11 and 12. Save it!
- Use the document uploader to send it to us securely, along with copies of any required supporting documents.
- Call 1-800-479-6151 to request the Reach Up Child Only Application.
- Complete and sign it.
- Mail it to the address on the application or drop it off at a district office.
Children who get Child-Only Reach Up may also be eligible for:
Where To Learn More
- Read the Vermont Kinship Caregivers Guide.
- Call 1-800-479-6151 or visit one of our district offices.
- Contact Vermont Kin as Parents to learn about other resources and support for kinship families. Call 802-871-5104 or provide your information at Vermont Kin as Parents' contact page.
* A full-time HS student expected to graduate before their 19th birthday is eligible through the month of graduation.
* A full-time HS student who is disabled is eligible through the month of graduation or 19th birthday, whichever is first.