Child-Only Reach Up

Provides cash assistance to help adults care for the minor, dependent children of relatives or family friends.

Who Is Eligible

To be eligible, a child must:

  • Be under 18 (with a few exceptions*)
  • NOT be getting SSI benefits
  • NOT be in foster care
  • Have little or no income of their own
  • Be living with/cared for by someone other than a legal, step or adoptive parent

In some situations, additional factors will be considered.

* A full-time HS student expected to graduate before their 19th birthday is eligible through the month of graduation.
* A full-time HS student who is disabled is eligible through the month of graduation or 19th birthday, whichever is first.

If Your Application Is Approved

You will receive monthly cash assistance (called a caretaker benefit).

How To Apply


  1. Save the fillable Application for Child-Only Reach Up on your computer.
  2. Open the form and complete it.
  3. Sign by typing your name into the signature boxes on pages 11 and 12 and then save it.
  4. Use the Document Uploader to send it to us securely, along with copies of any required supporting documents.


  1. Call 1-800-479-6151 or visit a district office to get a copy of the Application for Child-Only Reach Up (202CARE).
  2. Complete and sign it.
  3. Mail it to the address on the application or drop it off at a district office.

If you want to apply for 3SquaresVT, Essential Person, Fuel Assistance or Reach Up for yourself, you must use our regular 202 application. Call 1-800-479-6151 or go to

Addtional Benefits

Children who get Child-Only Reach Up may also be eligible for:

Where To Learn More