If you have dependent children and need financial help while going to college, this program might be right for you!
PSE helps eligible parents earn two- or four-year undergraduate college degrees so they can get good paying jobs and support their families.
Who is eligible
- With minor, dependent children at home
- Who live in Vermont
- With incomes under 150% of the federal poverty level
The help available
- Monthly cash payments
- Support services
- Help with childcare, transportation and school supplies
- Benefits through Reach Ahead once your PSE grant closes (we'll automatically enroll you if you're eligible)
BONUS: If you get PSE, you could also get FREE weatherization services!
What you are responsible for
- Be accepted into college
- Secure the funds to cover tuition (the Vermont Student Assistance Corporation can help you apply for grants, loans and scholarships)
- Agree to work no more than 20 hours a week so you can focus on your education
What happens when your grant closes
If you're eligible, we'll automatically enroll you in Reach Ahead. You won’t have to fill out an application or enrollment form to start getting benefits. But you might have to complete a review at some point to keep getting them.
How to apply
STEP 1 - COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING FORMS:
- 202 - Application for Benefits (check that you're applying for Reach Up and answer those questions)
- 202PSE - Postsecondary Education Program Application (fillable form)
STEP 2 - ATTACH COPIES OF ANY REQUIRED SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS.
The documents you must submit as part of your application are listed in the above forms.
STEP 3 - SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION.
Send your completed forms and supporting documents to your local ESD District Office or to DCF Economic Services Division, Application & Document Processing Center, 280 State Drive, Waterbury, VT 05671-1500.
STEP 4 - PARTICIPATE IN AN INTERVIEW.
If you apply for PSE, you’ll have to complete an interview — by phone or in person — before we can make a decision about your eligibility. We'll inform you about the interview process after we receive your application.
Where you can learn more
- If you have questions about PSE and how to apply, call 1-800-479-6151
- Print the PSE Rackcard