Skip to main content

Apply To Be A Child Care Provider

If you love children and your community, you can help both to succeed by opening a regulated child care program in your neighborhood.

Statute: A person shall not operate a child care facility without a license unless exempted under 33 V.S.A. § 3502.

Where To Start

The first step is to determine the kind of child care program you want to offer.

Apply to be "Licensed" if you want to provide care:

  • Outside of a private home, OR
  • In a private home for more children than allowed in registered family child care homes (see below).

Apply to be "Registered" if you want to provide care:

  • In a private home, AND
  • For no more than six children under the age of six plus four school-aged children
    (only two of the children can be under the age of two).

Where To Get Help

  • If you have questions about the process or need translations of the application materials, contact the Licensing Technician in your area.
  • If you have questions about the licensing regulations, contact the Licensor on Duty at 1-800-649-2642 (option 3) or