Skip to main content

Kinship Care In Vermont

Care for the child of a relative or friend — for a short while or a longer period.

Why Kinship Care Happens

It can happens for many reasons, including when parents are:

  • Unwilling or unable to safely care for their children
  • Seriously ill or deceased
  • Separated from their children by choice or circumstance (e.g., deportation, incarceration, military deployment or substance use disorder treatment)

How It Happens / Learn More

The two most common ways children come into the care of relatives or family friends are:

    When parents arrange for relatives or friends to care for their children while they can’t. Read the Kinship Caregivers Guide to learn more.
    When a family court orders the removal of a child from their home as the result of a juvenile court proceeding.

Vermont Kin As Parents (VKAP)

If you have questions or need help navigating the kinship care landscape, call VKAP at (802) 871-5104. They can help you understand the kinship options and supports that might be available.

Visit their website at to learn more.