Skip to main content

Requests From Vermont Employers

Vermont law allows you to request a registry check to determine whether to hire/retain an individual to provide care, custody, treatment, transportation or supervision of children or vulnerable adults.

Who may I request a search on?

  • A current employee, volunteer, grantee, or contractor.
  • An individual to whom you have made a conditional offer.

How do I request a search?

  1. Complete a request for a Child Protection Registry Check: VT Employers.
  2. Make sure the current/prospective employee, contractor or volunteer signs the form authorizing us to conduct the search & disclose any information we find to you.
  3. Send the completed form one of the ways listed at the bottom of the form.   
  4. If you've chosen to get the results by mail, send us your form along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope, by mail through the U.S. Postal Service.

What happens next?

  1. If you're entitled to a search, we'll do our best to complete it within 25 business days.
  2. We'll notify you of our findings in writing.
  3. If the individual is found on the registry, we'll tell you the date and nature of the finding and notify the individual.

What if we request registry checks on a regular basis?

The Agency of Human Services has a subscription service for organizations located in the state of Vermont that provide direct services to children and/or vulnerable adults and are authorized to submit registry check requests.

A Vermont organization that provides direct services to children and/or vulnerable can use this service to request registry checks of the Vermont Adult Abuse and Child Protection Registries at the same time. If you are not yet subscribed, email to request a subscription packet.

Organizations located outside the state of Vermont, staffing agencies, and third-party background checking agencies may email a Child and/or Adult Abuse Registry background check form. You may find the forms and more information at:

Department for Children and Families
Child Protection Registry 
280 State Drive
HC 1 North, Building B
Waterbury, VT  05671-1080
(802) 241-0080