VSNIP reduces pet overpopulation by helping eligible Vermonters afford to have their dogs and cats spayed or neutered. The program is 100% funded by a surcharge on dog registrations so funds are limited.
What help is available?
If your application is approved, you'll get vouchers that let you have your dogs and cats spayed or neutered for a $27 copay per animal.
Requests for more than five animals in a year will need special approval.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible, you must:
- Live in Vermont
- Have gotten your pet for free or a small fee
- Qualify based on getting public benefits or having household income at or below 185% of Federal Poverty Guidelines
How do I apply?
- You can either:
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PRINT THE APPLICATION IN COLOR.
- Mail your completed application, supporting documents and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the address below.
- If your application is complete, it will be processed within five (5) business days.
How does the program work?
- Your application is not approved until you get your voucher in the mail.
- Once you get your voucher, make an appointment with a participating vet right away. You must use the voucher within 60 days.
- Bring the voucher and $27 copay to the vet's office —on or before the day of the surgery.
- Print this checklist of things to remember before bringing your animal to the vet's office for surgery
What does the co-pay cover?
The copay covers a pre-surgical exam, pain management before and during surgery, the surgery, an overnight stay if needed, a distemper vaccine series, one rabies vaccination and suture removal after surgery. It does not cover:
- Pain management after surgery
- Optional procedures such as a blood panel
- Procedures associated with complications that arise during or after surgery (e.g., animal in heat or pregnant, fleas & ticks, parasites, infection and incision repair)
Ask about all possible charges that are not covered by VSNIP — before the surgery. You may decline any recommended optional procedures and consult with other vets.
Who do I call for more information?
Call 1-844-448-7647 (1-844-HI-VSNIP) or email email@example.com if you have questions.
Other Help Available
Click here to learn about other organizations that offer low-cost spay & neuter options in Vermont.
Click here to get the monthly invoice for VSNIP.
PO Box 104
Bridgewater, VT 05034