VSNIP reduces pet overpopulation by helping eligible Vermonters afford to have their dogs and cats spayed or neutered. Funds are limited because the program is 100% funded by a surcharge on dog registrations.
What help is available?
If you're eligible, we'll send you a voucher that allows you to get your animal(s) spayed or neutered by a participating veterinarian for a $27 copay per animal.
Who is eligible for assistance?
To be eligible, you must:
- Live in Vermont
- Have paid no more than $75 for the animal
- Qualify based on getting public benefits or having gross monthly household income at or below 185% of the Federal Poverty Level
How do I apply?
1. Get a copy of the application:
- Download and print the application here
- Call 1-844-448-7647 (1-844-HI-VSNIP)
- Send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to VSNIP, PO Box 104, Bridgewater, VT 05034
2. Complete the application.
- Fill it out completely and print clearly — incomplete and unreadable applications cannot be processed
- Be sure to sign it as unsigned applications will be returned for signature
3. Gather the paperwork required as proof of eligibility.
- Read the application to learn what supporting documents are required
- Make copies of any documents you need to submit as originals will not be returned
4. Submit your application.
Send your completed, signed application, along with any supporting documents, to: VSNIP, PO Box 104, Bridgewater, VT 05034.
How does the program work?
- Your application is not approved until you get your voucher in the mail.
- Once you get your voucher, make an appointment with a participating vet right away. You must use the voucher within 60 days.
- Bring the voucher and $27 copay to the vet's office —on or before the day of the surgery.
What does my co-pay cover?
The copay covers the fee for the entire surgical procedure, including:
- A pre-surgical exam
- Pain management before and during surgery
- An overnight stay if needed
- A distemper vaccine series and one rabies vaccination
- Suture removal after surgery
It does not cover:
- Pain management after surgery
- Optional procedures such as a blood panel
- Procedures associated with complications that arise during or after surgery (e.g., animal in heat or pregnant, fleas & ticks, parasites, infection and incision repair)
Ask about all possible charges that are not covered by VSNIP — before the surgery. You may decline any recommended optional procedures and consult with other vets.
Who do I call for more information?
Call 1-844-448-7647 (1-844-HI-VSNIP) or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
How is the program funded?
VSNIP is 100% funded by a surcharge on annual dog licensing fees collected in Vermont. Because receipts vary from month to month, the number of surgical procedures we can fund each month also varies.
Other Help Available
Click here to learn about other organizations that offer low-cost spay & neuter options in Vermont.
Click here to get the monthly invoice for VSNIP.
PO Box 104
Bridgewater, VT 05034