When children can't live at home, we find safe, temporary places for them to live.
- Our first choice is with relatives or family friends (kinship foster care)
- When that’s not possible, we look for other families
We urgently need foster families — in every community across the state and for all age groups and needs.
The Role of Foster Parents
- Open their hearts and homes to children in need
- Work in partnership — with parents, relatives, social workers, and others — towards the stated goal (e.g., child’s safe return home)
Keeping Children in Their Own Communities
The more qualified foster families we have in every community, the easier it is to keep children and youth in their own communities and schools.
- Click here for fast facts about the importance of educational stability
- Click here to watch a VT video about the impact of having to change schools
Who Can Apply
To foster a child in DCF custody, you:
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must have enough room to house a child
- Must have sufficient income to support your family
- Can be single, married, living with a partner, or joined through a civil union
You can apply to provide foster care for a specific child you know or for any child in need. Applications are considered regardless of disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity/expression, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
All types of families are welcome to apply!
What We Look For
We are open to all families who are willing to:
- Learn, grow, and develop new skills
- Work as part of a dedicated team
- Go the extra mile for children and youth in need
All types of families are needed!
Deciding If Foster Parenting Is Right For You
Being a foster parent is not for everyone. There are many things to consider before you decide whether it's right for your family. Below are some tools that can help!
- Read the Licensing Regulations for Foster Care
- Read the Foster Care and Adoption Self-Assessment Guide (produced by Iowa KidsNet)
- Read the Resource Guide for Foster & Kinship Foster Families
- Watch a 22-minute video Foster Care in Vermont
- Watch this video about a young girl taken from her home and placed in foster care