Legal Issues

resources iconSouth Royalton Legal Clinic

Helps residents from several Vermont counties who are unable to afford counsel with issues such as children’s rights, family law, housing, welfare and more.  Representation is statewide for immigration cases; other representation is limited to Orange and Windsor counties and by court appointment only in Washington county. Call (802) 831-1500 for more information.

Understanding Child Welfare and the Courts

A factsheet for families, published by the Child Welfare Information Gateway, designed to answer parent and caregiver concerns about the court process and provide resources regarding legal action and parental rights.

Vermont Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Service

Attorneys provide an initial 30-minute office consultation for no more than $25. Simply provide information about you and your legal needs and you’ll be matched with a qualified attorney. Call 1-800-639-7036 during regular business hours.

Vermont Judiciary's - Juvenile Court

Information, forms and frequently-asked questions related to juvenile matters in Vermont.

Vermont Law Help

Easy-to-read legal information on topics such as public benefits, education, and free legal services.

Vermont Legal Aid

Free civil legal services for people who are elderly, have a disability, or have low income. You can also call 1-800-889-2047.

Vermont Parent Representation Center, Inc.

Represents and supports parents who are at risk of losing custody of their children to the state.