Button - Child Protection Registry Homepage

What Happens If You're Substantiated

If you're substantiated for child abuse or neglect in Vermont, your name is added to the Child Protection Registry unless you challenge the substantiation and get it overturned.

What's in a registry record?

  • Your name
  • At least one other fact to help identify you (e.g., date of birth)
  • The date & nature of the finding
  • A child protection level related to your risk of future harm to children — for all records added on or after July 1, 2009

Can the public access the registry?

No. The public may NOT access the registry. However, a current or potential employer may access it if:

  • You give your permission
  • The work involves children, youth or vulnerable adults

How can a registry record affect me?

It could affect your ability to:

  • Adopt a child
  • Become a child care provider
  • Provide foster/respite care
  • Work or volunteer in positions involving children, youth or vulnerable adults

Others may request your record if it’s relevant. This includes:

  • Adult/child protection agencies
  • Board of Medical Practice
  • State’s attorneys

Read the statute to see who can access the registry and why.

How do I challenge a substantiation?

Learn how and when you may challenge a substantiation.

Is a registry record permanent?

As long as you are NOT required to be on the Sex Offender Registry, you may request a review to have your name expunged (removed) from the registry once it's been on a certain number of years.

Where can I learn more?

Read the Child Protection Registry brochure

Department for Children and Families
Commissioner’s Registry Review Unit 
HC 1 North, 280 State Drive
Waterbury, VT  05671-1080
(802) 241-2321