OCS Services Video

Establish/Modify A Child Support Order

We can help you establish, modify & enforce a child support order in Vermont.

Establish Child Support Order

Child and medical support are usually determined at the same time as custody — during a separation or divorce procedure or as part of a legal action to establish parentage. The  order issued by the court spells out:

  • Who pays and who receives support
  • Who is covered by the order
  • The amount to be paid
  • When, how and how often payments must be made

Modify a Child Support Order

Once a child support order is issued, it can only be modified (or changed) by the court.  Either parent can petition the court to modify the order when there is a:

  • Real, substantial and unanticipated change in circumstances (e.g., job loss, significant income change, disability, or change in custody)
  • Need to suspend wage withholding
  • Change that will result in child support that’s at least 10% higher or lower than ordered
  • Court review of their support order, which either parent may request once every three years

Court form to modify support: Application to waive filing fees/service costs

Income/Expenses Affidavit: VT Court Form  | VT Law Help Interactive Form | Motion to Modify

Enforce a Support Order

If the non-custodial parent is not complying with a child support order issued in Vermont or another state, we may be able to help you enforce it. If the non-custodial parent lives outside the U.S., we may be able to help you determine the enforcement options available.

Need Help?

If you need help to establish, modify or enforce a support order,  send us a completed application for child support services.  Services are free for parents and guardians of children under 18 or still in high school.  

More Information