You can use this application only to apply for:
- 3SquaresVT: Helps people to buy food
- Essential Person: Helps people pay for essential live-in care at home
- Fuel Assistance: Helps people to heat their homes
- Reach Up: Provides support to households with children
Other Benefits: Learn about all benefit programs available through this department.
The Application Process
Step One - Gather information about the people living in your home.
- Dates of birth and Social Security numbers for those applying for benefits
- Pay stubs for earned income
- Check stubs for unearned income (e.g., alimony, child support, Unemployment Insurance, Workers’ Comp)
- Information about your resources (e.g., bank accounts, investment accounts & property)
- Household bills (e.g., fuel, phone, and electric)
Step Two - Read the information below.
- To get the ball rolling sooner, you may choose to submit an incomplete application as long as it includes your name, address, and electronic signature. Complete & submit the rest of the application soon after.
- If you're applying for 3SquaresVT, we'll ask you questions to see if you're eligible for benefits within 7 days.
- You must provide a Social Security Number (SSN) for each person applying for benefits.
- While you don’t have to provide SSNs for people not applying, you do need to give information such as their incomes and resources.
- Only U.S. citizens and certain legal immigrants can get benefits. If your household includes people not eligible because of their immigration status, you can still apply for those who are eligible.
- You don’t have to provide immigration information for people not applying, but you do need to give information such as their incomes and resources.
Step Three - Complete & Submit the Application
- Answer the questions completely and honestly. We'll verify the information you provide with other sources, including federal, state, and local agencies.
- Complete all information marked with a red asterisk*.
- Be sure to read your rights and responsibilities. Print a copy for your records.
- Sign and submit your application.
Step Four - Participate in an interview and orientation if required.
If you apply for 3SquaresVT or Reach Up, you’ll have to complete an interview — by phone or in person — before we can make a decision about your eligibility. We will inform you about the interview process after you apply. Reach Up applicants may also need to attend an orientation.
Step Five - Send any additional documents requested.
After you submit your application, we may ask you to provide further documentation (e.g., driver’s license, ID card, immigration documents, pay stubs, bills, forms, etc.) to verify certain information. Please send copies of personal documents. Originals may not be returned.
Other Things You Should Know About Your Application
- If you submit it after 4:30PM or on a weekend or holiday, the filing date is the next business day.
- If you don't submit it within 30 days, your information will be deleted and you'll have to start over.
- If you're applying for 3SquaresVT, read this important information about 3SquaresVT.