Concerns & Complaints

We want to hear from you if you have concerns about a decision we’ve made, an action we’ve taken or the way you’ve been treated. We’ll listen to what you have to say with an open mind.

Step One:

The first step is to talk to the DCF employee who is involved.

Step Two:

If you don't feel comfortable talking to this person or are unhappy with the response you get, please contact his or her supervisor.

Step Three:

If the issue is still not settled, please contact the appropriate person in the Division you are working with:

  • Child Development Division: Call 1-800-649-2642, press "0"  and ask for the Operations Manager.
  • Disability Determination Services: If you disagree with a decision on a disability claim, follow the instructions on the notice you received. For other decisions, call DDS Director Jack McCormack at (802) 241-2464.
  • Economic Services Division: Call 1-800-479-6151 and ask to be directed to the appropriate manager.
  • Family Services Division: Contact the director of the district office you're working with.  You can also read the brochure A Guide to Sharing Your Concerns.
  • Office of Child Support: Contact the manager of the regional office you are working with.
  • Office of Economic Opportunity: Contact Kristin Lyons at (802) 241-0935.

Step Four:

If the issue is still not resolved, please contact the DCF Consumer Concerns Team:

  • Email:
  • Mail: Consumer Concerns Team, Commissioner's Office, Department for Children and Families, 280 State Drive, HC 1 North, Waterbury, VT  05671-1080
  • Phone: Call (802) 241-0925 to report consumer concerns/complaints (click here for a list of helpful phone numbers)

Please include your phone number and mailing address on any written correspondence.

Step Five:

Depending on your issue, we may:

  • Refer you to someone who can help you find the information, programs, or services you are looking for
  • Assign your case to someone in the appropriate division and tell you what is going to happen next

Step Six:

Once your case is assigned, you should hear from someone within a few days. The Consumer Concerns Team uses a computer tracking system to make sure consumer concerns/complaints are documented, tracked, and resolved in a respectful and timely way. The system automatically alerts staff members involved in the case of any actions taken and any issues that still need to be resolved.