Are we ready to apply?
You may apply for STARS at any time. Even if you feel your program is not yet operating at its ideal level, do not hesitate to apply. STARS is designed to recognize providers’ achievements in the arenas in which they are strongest, while they continue to improve in other arenas. Receiving even one STAR is an accomplishment and indicates that you have gone above and beyond Vermont’s basic regulatory standards.
How do I get an application form?
You can get a STARS application by:
- Selecting the correct application materials, Click here;
- Calling one of the STARS coordinators at (802) 398-2037; or
- Emailing the STARS coordinators.
No application fee is required.
Is help available?
If you would like to help with the application process, please call the STARS coordinators at (802) 398-2037. You can also send them an email and they will get back to you. Be sure to let them know the best ways to reach you.
Step by Step Guide
- Select the correct application materials, Click here. Or contact a the STARS coordinators to request materials at (802) 398-2037 or email STARS@mjccvt.org. No application fee is required.
- If your program has not been visited by a licensing specialist in the past two years, let a STARS coordinator know and they will make arrangements for a visit.
- You may apply for recognition in five arenas:
- Regulatory history;
- Staff qualifications;
- Families and communities;
- Program practices; and
- Program administration.
- Decide which point level you are able to achieve. In the 2010 application you can earn up to 5 points in program practices and up to 3 points in all other arenas. In any arena, you can indicate that your program is operating according to state regulations and you are not seeking additional points.
- Read the application to determine the number of points you plan to apply for and what documentation you will need to submit.
- Submit your application along with all the required attachments (clipped together – no binders, please) to the STARS coordinators at the address listed in the application.
- Points are totaled across all five arenas to determine the number of STARS you can receive. Below are the points and star level related to 2010 application.
1 - 4 points – One Star
5 - 8 points – Two Stars
9 - 11 points – Three Stars
12 - 14 points – Four Stars
15 - 17 points – Five Stars
- The STARS coordinator reviews your application and supporting documents.
- The Child Development Division awards the appropriate level of STARS recognition. 2010 STARS applications result in certificates that are valid for three years, and annual reports are required. Contact the STARS coordinators about possible changes in star level at any point. 2008 STARS applications result in certificates that are valid for one year and must be renewed annually to continue participation.