Announcing Changes to the Vermont Step Ahead Recognition System (STARS)
The Child Development Division used Race to the Top, Early Learning Challenge Grant funds to evaluate STARS. As part of that evaluation, child care providers and community partners were surveyed about what is working and what is not working in STARS. The Division also surveyed families to learn about their impressions of STARS. The results of this survey are available here: Vermont STARS Validation and Evaluation Study 2015-2017, in addition two briefs are available:
Using all this information and working with the STARS Evolution and Oversight Committees, the Division is proposing changes to STARS. These changes will happen in two phases.
- Proposed Phase 1 Changes to STARS are at the final stage of rulemaking and will be heard by the Legislative Committee on Administrative Rules on July 25th.
- The spring Phase 2 tours have been completed and the feedback on changes to the criteria has been given to the Evolution Committee for recommendations.
Phase 1: The division proposed changes to the STARS rules to remove the regulatory history component, with a plan to make this effective in the fall of 2019 if the changes are approved in the regulatory review process. This will streamline STARS for most new programs and eliminate an application process to have one star. Please see the timeline for phase 1 here: https://dcf.vermont.gov/sites/dcf/files/CDD/Proposed/STARS/STARS_Evolution_Phase_I_Timeline_web.pdf
Information on Phase 1:
- Final Proposed STARS Rules - this is a clean document that incorporates all of the changes.
- Final Proposed STARS Rules with Mark Up - this is a document that shows the specific changes in the rule
- Comments received on the proposed rule and state response
- Filing documents for the final proposed rules
- The division recorded the November 1st, 2018 webinar on the proposed STARS changes and it is available on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/4s7JCPbtyeA.
The division is using the information gathered in the evaluation and validation study to develop changes to the structure of and requirements in STARS. Please see the proposed timeline for phase 2 here: https://dcf.vermont.gov/sites/dcf/files/CDD/Proposed/STARS/STARS_Evolution_Phase_II_Timeline_web.pdf.
Information on Phase 2:
- Frequently Asked Questions on Phase 2 Document Updated 6/25/2019
- Informational webinar of draft STARS changes. Recorded May 28th, 2019: https://youtu.be/HJiFtcHn6BI
Ways to Ask Questions:
Frequently Asked Questions Submission - if you have a question about the phase 2 changes you can submit those questions here. We are using these questions and those gathered in our community meetings to update the frequently asked questions document above every couple of weeks.
Changes to Bonuses
The Division has heard from child care providers that the current bonus structure is not working, and we want to consider how to change this structure to be more supportive. We are looking for volunteers for people willing to be part of a group that will make recommendations on changes to the bonuses. If you would like to be considered to participate in this group please let us know by filling out this survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/STARS_Bonuses_Advisory_Group_Sign_Up