BFIS is a data system that supports the work of many different people who care for children in Vermont.
Watch the PowerPoint Presentation which provides an overview of BFIS and who can use it.
Go to the BFIS Website
NOTE: Log in is on the left-hand side of the page, once clicked you will receive options for the type of account you can log into.
- Logging onto BFIS Tutorial: This YouTube video will give you an overview of how to log onto BFIS and who to call if you have questions.
- BFIS Fact Sheet: An overview of who can get a username and password and how to log in.
Various Account Types
The Credential Account
A BFIS credential account is a place where staff of child care programs, registered home child care providers, preschool teachers, afterschool program staff, and other professionals in the early childhood and afterschool field can save their professional development information.
- BFIS Credential Account PowerPoint: An overview of the credential account and how to log into it.
- BFIS Quality-Credential Account Fact Sheet: How to get professional development information verified and entered into you account.
- How to view your BFIS Quality-Credential Account: This video walks you through how to find out what information is already in your BFIS Quality-Credential Account. Check out what is already in your account prior to sending new information to be verified.
- Professional Development Verification Cover Sheet: How to submit professional development documentation and information to Northern Lights for verification.
The Child Care Program Account
A BFIS child care program account is a place for the licensee or director to manage their program's information for child care licensing and financial assistance.
- Entering Attendance PowerPoint: An overview of how to enter Child Care Financial Assistance attendance in BFIS.
- Doing Attendance Adjustments in BFIS: This PowerPoint walks through the steps to change the attendance invoices in BFIS. You will make these changes if you made a mistake on submitting attendance, or if a child is approved for dates for which you have already submitted invoices.
- Submitting Attendance in the Bright Futures Information System (BFIS) Fact Sheet
- Provider Payment Handbook
- Child Care Licensing Variances: A fact sheet on who can submit a variance, how to submit it, and what to expect once one is submitted.
- Entering a Registered Family Child Care Home Application in BFIS: A PowerPoint that outlines the steps to submit an initial application to become a registered home child care program. Updated 6/27/2017
- Entering a Licensed Center or Home Reapplication in BFIS: A PowerPoint that outlines the steps to submit a reapplication for a licensed center or home.
- Entering a Registered Home Reapplication in BFIS: A PowerPoint that outlines the steps to submit a reapplication for a registered home program.
- Updating Staff/Associated Party Information in BFIS: This factsheet outlines how to update staff information, delete staff from your program if they no longer work there, or add new staff to your program.
- Staff/Associated Party Qualification and Determination: This factsheet describes the purpose and information you may find in the qualification and determination columns in your associated parties list.
- Submitting a Incident Report: This fact sheet describes the process to enter and submit an incident report in BFIS.
- Submitting a Record Check Variance Request: This fact sheet describes the process to enter and submit a record check variance request in BFIS.
The Internal User Account
To obtain an internal user account (for eligibility specialists, etc), you must be approved through the appropriate organization, and through the division. To request an account you must complete the following documentation:
If you have any suggestions on how we can improve BFIS please send them to us through the BFIS Feedback Survey.