Child Support Orders in Vermont

We can help you to establish, modify and enforce a child support order in Vermont.

Establish Child and Medical Support

Child and medical support are typically determined at the same time as custody, during a separation or divorce procedure or as part of a legal action to establish parentage.  The child support order — a document issued by the court either with the agreement of both parties or as a result of a court hearing — spells out:

  • Who pays and who receives support
  • The children covered by the order
  • The amount to be paid
  • When, how often, and how payments must be made

Modify a Child Support Order

Once a child support order is issued, it can only be modified (or changed) by the court.  Either parent can petition the court to modify the order when there is a:

  • Real, substantial and unanticipated change in circumstances (e.g., job loss, significant income change, disability, or change in custody)
  • Need to suspend wage withholding
  • Change that will result in child support that’s at least 10% higher or lower than ordered
  • Court review of their support order, which either parent may request once every three years
Court forms to modify support

Enforce a Support Order

If the non-custodial parent is not complying with a child support order that was issued in Vermont or another state, there may be steps we can take to help you enforce it.  This may involve working with other agencies in Vermont as well as in other states. If the non-custodial parent lives outside the U.S., we may be able to help you determine the enforcement options available.  If that's the case, call the Child Support Helpline at 1-800-786-3214.

Help To Establish, Modify, or Enforce A Support Order

If you need help to establish, modify, or enforce your support order,  send us a completed  application for child support services.  Services are available free of charge to parents and guardians of children under 18 or still in high school.  

More Information