Update to Child Care Financial Assistance Program Benefits
During the spring 2016, the Vermont Legislature approved an additional one million dollars for Child Care Financial Assistance Program (CCFAP) benefits. This increase will be effective August 21st, 2016 and will improve benefits for parents in three ways:
- An increase in infant rates for both licensed and registered programs.
- An adjustment in the income guidelines, moving the guidelines from the 2014 Federal Poverty Level to the 2016 Federal Poverty Level.
- Support for families gradually transitioning off the Child Care Financial Assistance Program by moving the income guideline to 300% of the Federal Poverty Level for families receiving 10% of the Child Care Financial Assistance Rate.
Infant care is expensive to provide to families, and difficult for families to afford. This rate increase will move the current 4 STAR CCFAP rate for infants in licensed centers from the 75th percentile of the 2008 VT Child Care Market Rate, to the 75th percentile of the 2009 VT Child Care Market Rate. This change in rate has been calculated to increase all licensed infant rates.
The CCFAP infant rates for registered home child care programs were already above the 2009 VT Child Care Market Rate, therefore, a 3% increase on the current rate was made to the infant rates for registered home programs.
Rates for children will automatically be calculated by Bright Futures Information System (BFIS); and new child care certificates will be generated for families, effective 8/21/2016. No email will be sent to your program with the certificate, however all new certificates will be in your program’s BFIS account documents to view by 8/22/2016.
The Child Care Financial Assistance Program is only able to pay the state rate or the program's rate; whichever one is lower. Programs can update their rates in Bright Futures Information System at any time by completing a Provider Agreement Part 1: Financial Services and faxing it to the division at 802-241-0846. Updated rates go in effect the pay period following the date it was entered in Bright Futures Information System (BFIS).
If you have questions about this rate increase or how to update your rates, please call 1-800-649-2642
Income Guidelines Adjustment:
The change in benefits will also improve the income guidelines for the Child Care Financial Assistance Program. This will increase the percentage of benefit families will be eligible to receive. This change is two part:
- Moving the guidelines from the 2014 Federal Poverty Level to the 2016 Federal Poverty Level.
- Supporting families transition off the Child Care Financial Assistance Program by moving the income guideline to 300% of the Federal Poverty Level for families receiving 10% of the Child Care Financial Assistance Rate.
Parents will not be required to take additional steps to have the new guidelines effect their eligibility. Their eligibility will automatically be determined using the new income guidelines. If a family’s information has changed since the last time they applied, please have them call their eligibility specialist. For a list of eligibility agencies and contact information visit our website at http://dcf.vermont.gov/partners/cccsa. Families will not receive a copy of their new certificate. If they would like a copy please have them contact their eligibility specialist.
In order to ensure this process is smooth for parents and your program we will be completing all of the updates in the Bright Futures Information System (BFIS) on August 19th. During that day there may be short periods of time the system will be unavailable.