Center Based Child Care and Preschool Programs Regulations Proposed Changes Update
The Child Development Division has proposed changes to the Center Based Child Care and Preschool Programs (CBCCPP) Regulations.
Please see the details of the previous message below. We wanted to update you on a few things related to the final step of the LCAR hearing to finalize the rules.
- Upon further review of the text of the Child Care Licensing Regulations: Center Based Child Care and Preschool Programs final proposed rule, the Agency of Human Services, Department for Children and Families (“DCF”) is proposing revisions to the final proposed rule. DCF discovered three discrepancies between the text of the proposed rule and the final proposed rule and two grammatical errors. DCF sent this memo to LCAR correcting the discrepancies.
- The rules are scheduled to be heard by the committee at 11:50am on the 29th; however, this is subject to change. The Committee hearings are available by live stream. Information is available on their website: https://legislature.vermont.gov/committee/detail/2020/39
Overview of Process and Links:
The division went through a process with Public School Preschool, Head Start and other Center Based Child Care and Preschool Program stakeholders to identify areas that were duplication with other regulations, to eliminate any duplication within the CBCCPP regulations. This group of stakeholders made recommendations to the Child Development Divisions for changes and highlights of the proposed changes are below. In addition, the promulgation process includes a public comment period where any person could comment on the regulations. A document including all public comment and the Division's response to those comments is below.
The proposed rules contain the following:
- A reduction duplication and adapts the rules for Public School Prekindergarten Programs (PSPP) and/or any Center Based Child Care and Preschool Programs (CBCCPP) located in a public school building.
- Changes to the breastfeeding regulations,
- Changes to background clearance regulations,
- Changes to CPR and first aid regulations to comply with federal requirements,
- Changes to lead water testing regulations to align with state law enacted in 2019,
- Changes to provisional licensure regulations, and
- Updating the name of the Community College of Vermont's professional development system.
As a result of these proposed revisions, CBCCPP section 1.3 has been amended to align with these changes.
The Child Development Division accepted public comments on these proposed changes from January 24th, 2020 - March 13th,2020 through virtual hearings, survey and mailing. Those comments were used to revise the regulations. The revisions have now been submitted to the Vermont Legislative Committee on Administrative Rules (LCAR). This is the final step in the process to finalize the rules. Below are the filing documents, responses to public comment, a clean version of the final proposed rules, and a version of the proposed rules with the edits.
- Documents used to file with the Legislative Committee on Administrative Rules
- Final Proposed Rule - Clean Version
- Final Proposed rule with Edits
- Responses to Public Comment
The Legislative Committee on Administrative Rules is hearing testimony on these rules June 29th, 2020. This step in the process is the final step and the Committee evaluates if the Division followed the requirements to promulgate the regulations. If you are interested in this final step you can visit the committee's page on the Legislature website.