COVID-Related Assistance in Vermont

There are several programs that can help Vermonters who are suffering financially because of COVID-19. Below is information about some of them.

The programs are funded through Vermont’s allocation of the Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act.  Funds may be limited and only available through the end of 2020.


Emergency Housing:

Vermonters who are homeless may be eligible for extended emergency housing supports during the pandemic.  For more information, call 1-800-479-6151.  See the program rules here.

Mortgage Help:

Homeowners who have missed one or more mortgage payments due to Covid-19 can apply for help through the Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program. If you are eligible, the program can pay up to six past-due mortgage payments on your home and may also help with past-due property taxes.

Moving Assistance:

Tenants who can't afford their current rents due to Covid-19 can apply for help moving to more affordable units through the Money to Move Program. If eligible, you may get first and last month’s rent, security deposit and rent payments until the end of this year. To apply, you must have a landlord with an affordable unit they are willing to rent to you.

Rental Assistance:

Tenants and landlords can apply for help paying past-due rent through the Rental Assistance Stabilization Program. Tenants and landlords apply at the same time. There are no income limits. The program pays the landlords directly.


Internet Service:

Vermonters who have a Covid-19 related need for high-speed Internet at home (e.g.,remote learning, telehealth or telework) may apply for help through the Temporary Broadband Subsidy Program. If eligible, you can get a temporary credit of up to $40 per month towards your Internet service.

Internet Service - Line Extension:

Vermonters may be able to get up to $3,000 in assistance to extend telecommunications lines to their homes through the Line Extension Customer Assistance Program. To be eligible, you must:

  • not have access to at least 25/3 Mbps internet service,
  • have a need related to COVID-19 (e.g.,remote learning, telehealth or telework), and
  • Be just outside of an Internet Provider's service area (near net).

Past-Due Utility Bills:

Customers who face disconnection because of past-due bills (e.g., electricity, natural gas, landlines, and non-municipal water services) can apply for help through the Arrearage Assistance Program. There are no income limits, and you don’t need a disconnect notice. Your difficulty paying must be linked to Covid-19.