Vermont EBT: Frequently-Asked Questions

How can I use my 3SquaresVT benefits?

QUEST logoIf you get 3SquaresVT benefits:

  • You can use your card to buy eligible food items at participating  stores and  farmers’ markets  and anywhere you see the QUEST® logo.
  • There is no minimum dollar amount you have to spend to use the card to buy food.
  • There is no maximum number of times you can use your card to buy food each month.

How can I use my cash benefits?

QUEST logoIf you get cash benefits, you can use your card to:

What happens if I don't use my benefits?

  • 3SquaresVT benefits that are not accessed for 274 days will be permanently removed from your account.
  • Cash benefits that are not accessed for 90 days will be permanently removed from your account.

Can I get cash back when I am buying food with my 3SquaresVT benefits?

No.  Only the exact amount of your eligible food purchase will be deducted from your account. You cannot get change or request cash back using your 3SquaresVT benefits.

What if my card is lost, stolen,  damaged or just won’t work?

Call 1-800-914-8605 toll free for assistance — 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  

What if I enter the wrong PIN?

You get three chances to enter the right number. If the right PIN is not entered by the third try, a hold will be placed on your card and you won’t be able to try again until after midnight. If the ATM keeps your card, call 1-800-914-8605 to request a replacement.

What if the POS terminal is not working or the store doesn’t have one?

  1. You can still buy eligible food items using your 3SquaresVT benefits.
  2. The cashier will call to make sure you have enough benefits.
  3. If the purchase is approved, the cashier will fill out a paper form with your card number and the amount of the eligible food items. Don’t give the cashier your PIN.
  4. Sign the form and keep a copy for your records.

How will I know my account balance?

The easiest way is to keep your receipts. You can also call 1-800-914-8605 or go to to check your balance.

What if my address changes?

Call 1-800-479-6151 to report this change to the Economic Services Division of DCF.

Are there any fees for using my card?

Yes. There may be fees on certain transactions (see below). These will be taken directly from your cash account.

No Transaction Fee

• To buy food or get cash at participating
• For the first four ATM transactions each month

45-Cent Transaction Fee

• 45 cents for each cash withdrawal at an ATM, after four free ones each month

Surcharge Per Transaction

• Some ATMs and POS machines charge an additional fee (called a surcharge) every time you get cash
• Look for a sign near the ATM or POS that tells you the amount of any surcharge
•Learn the places that allow you to withdraw cash with no surcharge fee

How do I dispute a 3SquaresVT transaction?

You have 90 calendar days to report an inaccurate food transaction charged to your EBT account.
Here's how:

  1. Call 1-800-914-8605.
  2. Your claim will be processed right away
  3. If your claim is approved, your benefits will be added back on your card. Check your balance after 10 business days.
  4. If your claim is denied, you’ll get a denial letter in the mail. It will explain the reason for the denial and how to request a fair hearing to appeal the decision.

If we have to adjust the amount on your card because of an error we made, we’ll notify you about the change and your right to request a fair hearing to appeal it.


  • Be sure to sign the back of your card.
  • Don’t throw the card away! You’ll keep using it for as long as you get benefits.
  • Keep your card clean and safe. If it gets dirty or is damaged, it may not work.