ESD - Button - Accessing Food

Report Benefits Fraud

3SquaresVT For Vermonters 60+

senior man making sandwichEat healthy and live strong with help from 3SquaresVT — a program that can help you put nutritious foods on your table every day.

Who is eligible?

  • You may be eligible if your gross household income is equal to or less than 185% of the federal poverty level regardless of the resources you own. 
  • If your household includes someone age 60 or older, you may still qualify if your income is over limit; but we will have to consider your bank accounts and other resources you own (except for things like your home and certain retirement accounts).

If EVERYONE applying is at least 60 years old or getting disability benefits:
You may qualify for 3SquaresVT in a SNAP - a new, easier way to get and keep 3SquaresVT benefits.

How do I apply?

  1. Apply one of three ways:
  2. Participate in an interview — by phone or in person. We'll tell you about the process once we get your application.

What if I have questions? Need help applying?

Call the Vermont Helpline at 1-800-642-5119.

How much can I get?

That depends on your household size, income, and expenses. You may get a higher monthly benefit if you also get fuel assistance or spend more than $35 a month on medical costs not covered by insurance (e.g., Medicare copayments, medications, and doctor's visits).

How do monthly payments work?

  • If everyone in your 3SquaresVT household is 65 or older, your benefits will be deposited as cash directly into your bank account.
  • If anyone in your household is under 65, your monthly benefit will be added to an EBT card that you can use to buy food.

Other Food Help

Commodity Supplemental Food  (free monthly foods)
Crop Cash (double up to $10 of 3SquaresVT tokens at farmers markets in VT that accept EBT cards)
Senior Farm Share  (help buying fruits & veggies from local farmers)

3SquaresVT is Vermont's name for the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (or SNAP), a program of the U.S Department of Agriculture (USDA).

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex and in some cases religion or political beliefs. The U.S. Department of Agriculture also prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027), found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.  Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  •  Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 0250-9410
  • Fax: (202) 690-7442
  • Email:

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click the link for a listing of hotline numbers by State); found online at:

To file a complaint of discrimination regarding a program receiving Federal financial assistance through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), write: HHS Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 515-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or (800) 537-7697 (TTY).

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.