In 2011, Woodside was repurposed as a cost-effective alternative to hospitalization for youth. Since then, its primary role has shifted significantly. It has gone from a secure facility that focuses primarily on DETENTION and BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION, to one that focuses strongly on TREATMENT.
Prior to the shift:
- Woodside offered two distinct programs: the detention program and the residential program.
- Youth who participated in the detention program were only offered crisis stabilization services.
- Youth admitted into the residential program received behavior modification services and stayed for longer periods.
- The residential program was only available to males.
Since the shift:
- The focus is on providing specialized, evidence-based treatment.
- Treatment begins at intake (e.g., initial needs survey, health screening, substance abuse screen, psycho-social).
- Treatment continues and is monitored throughout a resident's stay.
- Residents get medical & psychiatric services, individual & group counseling, educational services, and transitional services to help them be successful when they return to their communities.
- We proactively engage with families, stakeholders, and the community.
Woodside Wellness Philosophy
Woodside is committed to providing a residential and school environment that promotes participant health, well-being and learning by supporting healthy eating, physical activity and mental health.
Our wellness philosophy was developed with guidance from the Agency of Education, DCF Licensing, the Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004, and the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.
Because Woodside gets money from the Global Commitment fund, we have to meet stringent standards. To help us meet these standards, we sought and received accreditation from CARF International in 2012. CARF, an independent, nonprofit accreditor of health and human services, helps service providers improve the quality of their services and meet internationally recognized organizational and program standards.
Accreditation is an ongoing process that signals Woodside's commitment to continuously improving our services, enhancing our performance, managing risk, encouraging feedback, and serving the community.