Supports for Youth

young womanIf you are or have been in DCF custody, there are services and supports available to help you.

Transition Services for Youth in Foster Care

There are services available to help you successfully transition out of foster care into adulthood.  This could include:

  • Case management;
  • Extended services & supports;
  • Help applying to college, finding a job, securing housing, and getting health insurance;
  • Individual life skills assessment and instruction; and
  • Referral to community services.

Extended Services & Supports

If you turn 18 while in foster care, you will no longer be in DCF custody.  You may, however, be eligible to get services and supports until your 22nd birthday.  In return, you'll be required to: 

  • Engage in 40 hours per week of productive time (e.g., work or school);  
  • Develop a plan to become self-sufficient; and
  • Sign a Voluntary Services Agreement that outlines:
    • Your goals;
    • Your commitment to continuing education, employment, or other productive use of time;
    • Any agreement about your financial contribution to your living expenses; and
    • How adults will support your goals and help you achieve self-sufficiency.

Youth Development Committee

You can participate as a member/associate member of the Youth Development Committee. The YDC provides a forum for current and former foster youth to:

  • Have a voice and feel empowered to help make positive changes in the DCF system;
  • Work within the DCF system to implement policy and legislative changes that impact current and former foster youth;
  • Learn how to advocate for legislative changes;
  • Portray a positive image of foster youth within our communities; and
  • Help youth in foster as they transition out of foster care.

    For More Information

    To learn more, contact the Youth Development Program — a community-based program, supported by DCF, that helps youth access transition services and extended supports. 

    Youth Development Program (YDP)
    c/o Washington County Youth Service Bureau
    PO Box 627, 38 Elm Street
    Montpelier, VT  05602
    (802) 229-9151,   | 

    Additional Resources

    Call a helpline for information and support: 

    Domestic Violence: 1-800-228-7395
    ► Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Youth Crisis: 1-866-488-7386
    ► Sexual Violence and Rape: 1-800-489-7273
    ► Suicide Prevention: 1-800-273-8255
    ► Teen Dating Abuse: 1-866-331-9474
    Teen Crisis, Information & Rap Line: 1-800-639-6095

    Family Services Division (FSD)

    Deputy Commissioner Karen Shea
    DCF - Family Services Division
    280 State Drive
    Waterbury, VT - 05671-1030
    Phone:(802) 241-2131

    Twitter    YouTube