Request a Registry Check on Yourself

Under Vermont law, you may request a search of Vermont's Child Protection Registry on yourself if you believe you were substantiated for child abuse/neglect.

How do I request a search?

  1. Complete the Child Protection Registry Self Inquiry Request Form.
  2. Have the form notarized by an official notary public.
  3. Mail your completed form — along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope — to the address listed on the form. Forms submitted by email or fax will not be processed.

What happens next?

If you are entitled to a search, we will do our best to complete it within 25 business days.  We will notify you of our findings in writing.  If your name is found on the Registry, you will be told the date and nature of the finding.

You will also be informed about the process for challenging a substantiation and requesting that your registry record be removed (expunged) from the database.  Click here to learn about your rights.

Learn More

  • Click here to read the Child Protection Registry brochure.
  • Click here to read the Registry Protocol for Out-of-State and Screening/Placement Organizations.