Under Vermont law, certain out-of-state employers and employment placement agencies may request searches to help them decide whether to hire or retain a specific individual to provide care, custody, treatment, transportation, or supervision of children or vulnerable adults—on either a paid or volunteer basis.
Who can I request a search on?
You may submit a request concerning:
- A current employee, volunteer, grantee, or contractor
- An individual to whom you have made a conditional offer
How do I request a search?
- Have the person you are requesting a search for complete the Request for a Child Protection Registry Check: SELF.
- Have the form notarized by an official notary public.
- Mail the completed form and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the address on the form. Please send by U.S. Postal Service. Do not send by private courier or delivery service (e.g., Fedex or UPS). Forms submitted by email or fax will not be processed.
- Be sure to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
What happens next?
If you are entitled to a search, we will do our best to complete it within 25 business days. We will notify you of our findings in writing. If the individual is found on the Registry, you will be told the date and nature of the finding. The individual will also be notified.
Where can I get more information?
For more information about registry checks, call DCF’s Family Services Division at (802) 241-6474.