Under Vermont law, you may request a search to help you decide whether to hire or retain a specific individual to provide care, custody, treatment, transportation, or supervision of children or vulnerable adults—on either a paid or volunteer basis.
Who can I request a search on?
You may submit a request concerning:
- A current employee, volunteer, grantee, or contractor; and
- An individual to whom you have made a conditional offer.
How do I request a search?
- Complete the Request for a Registry Check form.
- Make sure the person for whom you are requesting a search signs the form authorizing us to disclose any information we find to you.
- Once you have completed the form, return it along with a self-addressed stamped envelope to the appropriate address on the form.
What happens next?
If you are entitled to a search, we will do our best to complete it within 25 business days. We will notify you of our findings in writing. If the individual is found on the Registry, you will be told the date and nature of the finding. The individual will also be notified.
Where can I get more information?
For more information about registry checks, call DCF’s Family Services Division at (802) 241-6474.
For Child Care Providers: If you are a regulated child care provider in Vermont, this process does not apply to you. Please contact the Child Development Division at (802) 241-3110 for more information.