Button - Child Protection Registry Homepage

Request a Registry Check: VT Employer

Under Vermont law, you may request a search to help you decide whether to hire or retain a specific individual to provide care, custody, treatment, transportation, or supervision of children or vulnerable adults—on either a paid or volunteer basis.

Who can I request a search on?

You may submit a request concerning:

  • A current employee, volunteer, grantee, or contractor
  • An individual to whom you have made a conditional offer

How do I request a search?

  1. Complete a Request for a Child Protection Registry Check: VT EMPLOYER.
  2. Make sure the current or prospective employee/contractor/volunteer signs the form authorizing us to disclose any information we find to you.
  3. Mail your completed form and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the address on the form.
    Send by U.S. Postal Service.  DO NOT send by email, fax or courier/delivery service (e.g., Fedex or UPS).  
  4. Be sure to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

What happens next?

If you're entitled to a search, we'll do our best to complete it within 25 business days.

We'll notify you of our findings in writing. If the individual is found on the Registry, we'll tell you the date and nature of the finding. The individual will also be notified.


If you are a regulated child care provider in Vermont, this process does not apply to you. Please contact the Child Development Division at (802) 241-3110 for more information.

Where can I get more information?