Resources & Links

Childcare/Child Development

Childcare Publications

Publications related to childcare available from DCF's Child Development Division.

Children's Integrated Services (CIS)

CIS is a resource for pregnant or postpartum women and families with children from birth to age six. CIS can help:

Information about Parenting and your Child's Development

General information about your child's growth (from birth to 5) and where to get help if your child is age 6 or younger and you have questions or concerns about a suspected developmental delay or condition.

Understanding Child Development

Find resources to help you understand children's developmental stages.

Zero to Three

ZERO TO THREE is a national nonprofit organization that informs, trains and supports professionals, policymakers and parents in their efforts to improve the lives of infants and toddlers.

Economic Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Community Action Agencies help people meet their basic needs through programs such as crisis fuel assistance, emergency assistance, food shelves, help with housing, and more.

Economic Benefits From DCF

Information about economic benefits available through DCF, including 3SquaresVT, Child Care Financial Assistance, Emergency Assistance, Fuel Assistance, Reach Up, and more.

Internet Essentials

You may qualify for affordable Internet service and a low-cost computer if your household is located in an area with Comcast Internet service; includes at least one child getting free or reduced cost school lunches; and meets other criteria.

Vermont 2-1-1

2-1-1 is a free information and referral helpline — available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Simply dial 2-1-1 toll free from anywhere in Vermont. A call specialist will help you find government programs, community-based organizations, support groups, and other resources.

Vermont Housing Authority

Provides critical housing assistance to Vermonters in need. Their affordable housing initiatives reach many Vermonters, from senior citizens, young families, those who are homeless and those with special needs to residents of mobile home parks.

Women, Infants, and Children Nutrition Program (known as WIC)

Available through the Vermont Department of Health, WIC helps ensure young children eat well and stay healthy. Children up to age 5 may be eligible if they live in Vermont and meet income as well as health & nutrition guidelines. Children who get Medicaid or Reach Up are eligible.

Educational Resources

Head Start/Early Head Start

Head Start and Early Head Start provide a range of comprehensive early education, health, nutrition, parental involvement/engagement, and family support services to primarily at-risk children from birth to age 5 and their families. Pregnant women are also eligible to enroll in Early Head Start. Visit the website listed above to find your local Head Start and Early Head Start providers.

Vermont Family Network (VFN)

VFN works with families of children who have special needs and learning difficulties. They can help you advocate for a child’s special needs; learn about special education, parents’ rights, and related laws; prepare for meetings about school issues; and identify community supports.

Vermont Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health

Do you need help for your child with educational, emotional, and/or behavioral problems?  The federation can help!

Legal Assistance

South Royalton Legal Clinic

Helps residents from several Vermont counties who are unable to afford counsel with issues such as children’s rights, family law, housing, welfare and more. You can also call (802) 831-1500 for more information.

Vermont Bar Association’s Online Lawyer Referral Service

Attorneys provide an initial 30-minute office consultation for no more than $25. If you are not sure what type of attorney you need, call 1-800-639-7036 during regular business hours.

Vermont Law Help

Easy-to-read legal information on topics such as public benefits, education, and free legal services.

Vermont Legal Aid

Free civil legal services for people who are elderly, have a disability, or have low income. You can also call 1-800-889-2047.

Vermont Parent Representation Center, Inc.

VPRC was founded by a group of child welfare parents and professionals who share decades of experience with the current child protection system. VPRC is currently limited to providing consultation and legal representation for parents involved in minor guardianships in Probate Court in Addison and Chittenden Counties. To get in touch with VPRC, call (802)540-0200.

Parenting Issues

Parent Child Centers

Services include early childhood services, home visits to families with young children, playgroups, parent education, parent support, and information & referral. Visit the website listed above or dial 2-1-1 to find your local parent child center.

Vermont Family Division Mediation Program

Provides subsidized separation/divorce/post divorce/parentage/dissolution of civil union mediation and Parent Coordination (for high conflict families) services on a sliding fee basis to income eligible parents.

Vermont Fatherhood Resource Guide

This guide is not just for fathers! It can help any parent to find child care, early childhood services, parent support groups, economic assistance, and more.