Vermont Approved Child Care Orientation Training
The Vermont Child Development Division (CDD) is providing a free online 9-hour module to meet the Vermont Orientation Training requirements through Pennsylvania State University (Better Kid Care) that is available now at https://extension.psu.edu/programs/betterkidcare/on-demand
This online orientation training is for people who work in regulated child care, preschool and afterschool settings. Registered home providers, licensed home providers and staff, Center Based Child Care and Preschool Program staff, including public school preschool program staff, and Afterschool Program staff are all required to take this training by August 31, 2018.
We are developing an in-person option for this training. We will send more information about those options as they become available. At this point we anticipate the in-person training to be available in the summer 2018. In person options may have limited availability, so we encourage you to take this online option now if you are able.
Information on the online orientation training:
- The training is available on this website: https://extension.psu.edu/programs/betterkidcare/on-demand
- This can be completed in more than one session from the same computer. First, create a free account and sign in to the On Demand option, and then choose the module called “Vermont Orientation Training (for Vermont child care providers only)”. IMPORTANT NOTE: Please be sure to include your BFIS Quality & Credential Account number (for your personal quality and credential account, not the program number) so that you can be credited for completing the course.
- The training only needs to be completed one time (does not have to be renewed).
- This training can be used toward meeting the annual licensing training requirements.
- It is being provided at no cost through December 2018.
- At the completion of the orientation, you can print out a certificate of completion for your information. However, FOR THIS COURSE ONLY, you do not need to send a copy to Northern Lights Career Development Center. Better Kid Care will send a monthly report to Northern Lights Career Development Center of all individuals who have completed the Vermont Orientation Training module. Northern Lights staff will use this report to enter your completion of the orientation training.
- Better Kid Care has developed instructions on how to access this orientation.
- Better Kid Care has Frequently Asked Questions on their website that help with any technical difficulties: https://extension.psu.edu/programs/betterkidcare/on-demand/frequently-asked-questions
This training requirement is part of the changes required by the Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG) Act of 2014, and were incorporated into the Vermont Child Care Regulations. The revised rules require all family child care providers and staff with direct care responsibilities to complete Health & Safety Orientation training.