The Strengthening Families Grant Program was established by the Child Development Division (CDD) of the Department for Children and Families in the Agency of Human Services in January of 2010 as part of a major reform in child care assistance policy and practice. The program offers regulated early care and learning programs an opportunity to apply for limited funds in a competitive process. Grants are awarded for a one year period with an option to fund each successful applicant for up to three years overall in each round.
The services enhanced by this Strengthening Families grant relate to the following Act 186 Outcomes of Well-being:
- Vermont’s children and young people achieve their potential including children are ready for school
- Vermont’s Families are safe, nurturing, stable and supported
The primary goal of these grants is to ensure affordable access to high quality comprehensive early care and education programs for children and families challenged by economic instability and other environmental risk factors. Additional goals are to maintain/increase a supply of high quality infant-toddler care and to increase family strengths and resiliency in providing a nurturing environment that promotes the early development of their children.
2018 Grant Information
The Child Development Division has received 64 grant applications for 2018 Strengthening Families Grant by March 26th 2018, with a total of 2.5 million in requests for funding. There is 1.1 million available for these grants.
The anticipated timeline for awards of the 2018 grants is:
- An initial eligibility screening and review of the applications occurred by April 13th
- Final review and decisions will be made by middle of May 2018
- Applicants will receive notification of their application status by the end of May
- Grants and agreements will be processed programs receiving an award in June
- The Division will post a list of awardees on this webpage at the end of June
Information and Documents for the Applications
- Strengthening Families Grant Application Instructions
- Strengthening Families Grant Frequently Asked Questions
- Strengthening Families Grants Overview
- Strengthening Families Application
- Strengthening Families Application Budget Form
The 2014 Strengthening Families Grants have been awarded. See a list of grantees.