Request a Registry Check: VT Employer

Under Vermont law, you may request a search to help you decide whether to hire or retain a specific individual to provide care, custody, treatment, transportation, or supervision of children or vulnerable adults—on either a paid or volunteer basis.

Who can I request a search on?

You may submit a request concerning:

  • A current employee, volunteer, grantee, or contractor
  • An individual to whom you have made a conditional offer

How do I request a search?

  1. Complete a Request for a Child Protection Registry Check: VT EMPLOYER.
  2. Make sure the current or prospective employee/contractor/volunteer signs the form authorizing us to disclose any information we find to you.
  3. Mail your completed form and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the address on the form.  Please send by U.S. Postal Service.  Do not send by private courier or delivery service (e.g., Fedex or UPS).
  4. Be sure to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

What happens next?

If you are entitled to a search, we will do our best to complete it within 25 business days.  We will notify you of our findings in writing. If the individual is found on the Registry, you will be told the date and nature of the finding. The individual will also be notified.

Where can I get more information?

For more information about registry checks, call DCF’s Family Services Division at (802) 241-6474.

For Child Care Providers: If you are a regulated child care provider in Vermont, this process does not apply to you. Please contact the Child Development Division at (802) 241-3110 for more information.