Under Vermont law, you may request a search to help you decide whether to hire or retain a specific individual to provide care, custody, treatment, transportation, or supervision of children or vulnerable adults—on either a paid or volunteer basis.
Who can I request a search on?
You may submit a request concerning:
- A current employee, volunteer, grantee, or contractor
- An individual to whom you have made a conditional offer
How do I request a search?
- Complete a Request for a Child Protection Registry Check: VT EMPLOYER.
- Make sure the current or prospective employee/contractor/volunteer signs the form authorizing us to disclose any information we find to you.
- Mail your completed form and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the address on the form.
Send by U.S. Postal Service. DO NOT send by email, fax or courier/delivery service (e.g., Fedex or UPS).
- Be sure to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
What happens next?
If you're entitled to a search, we'll do our best to complete it within 25 business days.
We'll notify you of our findings in writing. If the individual is found on the Registry, we'll tell you the date and nature of the finding. The individual will also be notified.
FOR CHILD CARE PROVIDERS:
If you are a regulated child care provider in Vermont, this process does not apply to you. Please contact the Child Development Division at (802) 241-3110 for more information.
The Agency of Human Services has a subscription service that makes it easier for Vermont organizations to submit registry check requests to both the Vermont Adult Abuse and Child Protection Registries. The service is helpful if you conduct registry checks on a regular basis. You must be authorized to conduct registry checks in Vermont to use it.
If you are not yet subscribed, you can email Deb Tighe to request a subscription packet.
Where can I get more information?
- Read the Child Protection Registry brochure.
- Read the Registry Protocol for Out-of-State and Screening/Placement Organizations.
- Call DCF’s Family Services Division at (802) 241-6474.