Request a Registry Check on Yourself

Under Vermont law, you may request a search of Vermont's Child Protection Registry on yourself if you believe you were substantiated for child abuse/neglect.

How do I request a search?

  1. Complete a Request for a Child Protection Registry Check: SELF.
  2. Have the form notarized by an official notary public.
  3. Mail your completed form and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the address on the form.  Please send by U.S. Postal Service. Do not send by private courier or delivery service (e.g., Fedex or UPS). Forms submitted by email or fax will not be processed.
  4. Be sure to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. 

What happens next?

If you are entitled to a search, we will do our best to complete it within 25 business days.  We will notify you of our findings in writing.  If your name is found on the Registry, you will be told the date and nature of the finding.

You will also be informed about the process for challenging a substantiation and requesting that your registry record be removed (expunged) from the database.  Click here to learn about your rights.

Learn More

  • Click here to read the Child Protection Registry brochure.
  • Click here to read the Registry Protocol for Out-of-State and Screening/Placement Organizations.

    Where can I get more information?

    For more information about registry checks, call DCF’s Family Services Division at (802) 241-6474.