Crisis Fuel Assistance in Vermont

Crisis Fuel Assistance can help you with a heating crisis during the winter months (e.g., you are out of fuel or very close to running out of fuel and have no money to buy more).

Seasonal Fuel Assistance can help pay part of your home heating bills during winter months. 

What help is available?

If you are eligible, Crisis Fuel Assistance may help you:

  • Purchase the primary source of your heat (e.g., electricity, kerosene, natural gas, oil, propane, or wood);
  • Purchase electricity if it is required to run your heating system; and
  • Have your furnace repaired or replaced.

We can also help you to negotiate payment plans and will work with your electric or natural gas company to prevent disconnection.

Who is eligible?

Your household income can be up to 200% of the federal poverty level. However, in addition to being income eligible, you must show that you are experiencing a crisis.The income level used to determine eligibility for Crisis Fuel Assistance is higher than that of the Seasonal Fuel Assistance Program. Click here for the income guidelines for this year's heating season. 

When do I apply?

You can apply for Crisis Fuel Assistance starting the last Monday in November to the last Friday in April. Do not wait until you have run out of fuel to apply as fuel dealers often charge a special trip fee for emergency deliveries.

Crisis Fuel Assistance cannot help you if the fuel has already been delivered or the furnace work has been completed.

How do I apply?

You must apply in person at your local Community Action Agency. Please call the agency first, so they can tell you what documents and information you will need to bring.

Your local Community Action Agency may accept your application by phone if you are elderly or disabled and not able to apply in person.

After-Hours, On Weekends, and On Holidays

You may call 1-800-479-6151 toll-free for Crisis Fuel Assistance after the Community Action Agencies have closed for the day, on weekends, and on holidays—starting the last Monday in November until the second Friday in April. 

After midnight, the after-hours staff is available only for clients who are elderly, disabled, or have children under 6 years old living in the household.

If you are granted assistance after-hours, you will need to follow up by completing an application for Crisis Fuel Assistance at your local Community Action Agency. If you do not complete the application, you risk getting any assistance in the future.

Other Energy Assistance Programs


WARMTH funds are available for emergencies. You must be out, or almost out, of fuel or be in danger of having your service disconnected.  Funds are available from October through May; are available only when you have not been able to find sufficient help through other channels; and can be used up to 3 times during the heating season (up to $75 each time).To apply, contact your local Community Action Agency.

Shareheat funds are available only to Central Vermont Public Service (CVPS) customers. Funds are available to pay for heating emergencies. Shareheat operates from September to May. To apply, contact your local Community Action Agency.