Fuel Assistance in Vermont


The official State website for Fuel Assistance in Vermont.

Fuel Assistance (also known as Home Heating Assistance) can help pay part of your home heating bills whether you:

  • Own your home or rent;
  • Pay for heat directly or as part of rent;
  • Rent a room in someone's home; or
  • Live in public, subsidized, or Section 8 housing AND rent includes the cost of heat.

If you have a heating crisis during the winter months, Crisis Fuel Assistance may be able to help.

Who is eligible?

You may be eligible if your gross household income is equal to or less than 185% of the federal poverty level, based on household size — regardless of the resources (e.g., savings, retirement accounts, or property) that you own. Click here for the income guidelines for this year's heating season.

Income is the total money coming into your household each month, including wages, Reach Up cash assistance, Unemployment Compensation, Social Security or SSI benefits, child support or alimony. There may be people who live in your home who will not be in your Fuel Assistance household (e.g., caretaker or roomer). This means their income will not count when we determine whether you are eligible and for how much.You still need to list everyone living in your home on the application form.

How do I apply?

  • If you DID RECEIVE fuel assistance last season:
    We will automatically send you an annual review form. Once we receive your completed form, we will review your eligibility to get fuel assistance this season. Note: you will need to complete a review form every year.
  • If you DID NOT RECEIVE fuel assistance last season:
  1. You can apply using our online application; or
  2. If you are applying for fuel assistance only, you can print this application form and submit it to the address listed on the bottom of page 2; or 
  3. Call our Benefits Service Center at 1-800-479-6151 to request a paper application; or
  4. Apply in person at your local district office.

If you need help applying, contact your local Community Action Agency. Vermonters age 60 and older may also call the Senior Helpline at 1-800-642-5119 for assistance.

How much help can I get?

As more families participate in the program, the benefits will be smaller. This means that you should plan to pay a bigger portion of your heating costs this coming winter.

Please note: suppliers of firewood/wood pellets no longer need to be certified. Benefits will be paid directly to eligible applicants.