3SquaresVT For Vermonters 60+

Eat healthy, live strong with a little help from 3SquaresVT!

This page is specifically for Vermonters age 60 and over. To learn who else may be eligible for 3SquaresVT, click here.

Did you know that 3SquaresVT?
  • Is a federal USDA program that can help you put healthy, nutritious foods on your table every day.
  • Is much like social security. Your tax dollars helped pay for it. Now maybe it can help you.
  • Helps the state economy. When you spend your benefits, you support the economy. 
  • Can help everyone who qualifies. When you get benefits, you don't take them away from anyone else.
Over 13,000 Vermonters age 60 and over get 3SquaresVT.

Who is eligible?

  • You may be eligible if your gross household income is equal to or less than 185% of the federal poverty level (regardless of the resources you own).
  • If your income is over that limit, you may still qualify because your household includes someone age 60 or older. However, we would consider bank accounts and other resources you own (except for things like your home and certain retirement accounts).

The best way to find out if you are eligible is to apply!

How do I apply?

  1. Apply one of three ways:
    1. ONLINE: Click here to go to our online application.
    2. BY MAIL: Call 1-800-479-6151 or visit a district office to get a paper application.
    3. IN PERSON: Apply in person at your local district office.
  2. Participate in an interview. You’ll have to complete an interview — by phone or in person — before we can make a decision about your eligibility. We'll inform you about the interview process after you apply.
  3. Send any additional documents requested. After you submit your application, we may ask you to provide further documentation (e.g., driver’s license, ID card, immigration documents, pay stubs, bills, forms, etc.) to verify certain information. Please send copies of personal documents. Originals may not be returned.

What if I have questions? Need help applying?

Call Vermont's Senior Helpline at 1-800-642-5119 to get answers to your questions and help applying. An outreach worker can come to your home to help you fill out an application.

You can also click here for a list of other organizations that can help.

How much can I get?

That depends on your household size, income, and expenses.

You may get a higher monthly benefit if you also get fuel assistance or spend more than $35 a month on medical costs that are not covered by insurance. This includes, for example, any copayments you have to make for Medicare, medications, and doctor's visits.

The average monthly benefit for a senior living alone is about $163.

How do monthly payments work?

If everyone in your 3SquaresVT household is 65 or older, your benefits will be deposited as cash directly into your bank account.

If anyone in your household is under 65, your monthly benefit will be added to an EBT card called Vermont Express. It can be used to buy food at many stores and farmers' markets much like you'd use a bankcard or credit card. Click here to get more information about how the card works and where you can use it.

Using 3SquaresVT to buy food is easy and convenient.

Other Food Help

3SquaresVT is Vermont's name for the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Formerly called food stamps, it is a program of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

The U.S Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at program.intake@usda.gov

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).  

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish, or call the State Information Hotline (the numbers can be found online at http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/contact_info/hotlines.htm).

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.