Eat healthy with a little help from 3SquaresVT!

3SquaresVT is a federal USDA program (formerly food stamps) that can help stretch your food budget so you can put three healthy meals on your table every day.

Nationally, it is called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP.

Vermonters Age 60 & Over

If you are age 60 or over, click here to go to a page specifically for you!

Who is eligible?

You may be eligible if:

  • Your gross household income is equal to or less than 185% of the federal poverty level —regardless of the resources you own.
  • Your gross household income is over that limit as long as your household includes someone age 60+ or with a disability. However, we would consider bank accounts or other resources you own, except for some things like your home and certain retirement accounts.
  • You have children and get the Vermont Earned Income Tax Credit.
The best way to find out if you are eligible is to apply.

How do I apply?

There are several ways to apply. You can

  1. Complete our online application.
  2. Call 1-800-479-6151 to request a paper application.
  3. Apply in person at your local ESD District Office.

You may be required to provide some documents before we process your application.

Have questions? Need help applying?

Click here for a list of statewide resources that can answer your questions and help you apply for benefits.

How much can I get?

The benefits you may receive will depend on your household size, income, and expenses.

The average monthly benefit per household is about $235.

How does the monthly payment work?

If anyone in your household is under 65, your monthly benefit will be added to an EBT card called Vermont Express. It can be used to buy food at many stores and farmers' markets much like you'd use a bankcard or credit card. Click here to get more information about how the card works and where you can use it.

If everyone in your household is 65 or older or receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), your benefits will be deposited as cash directly into your bank account.

Using 3SquaresVT to buy food is easy and convenient.

Additional Benefit For Families with School-Age Children

If you are eligible for a monthly benefit, have a school-age child, AND your child's school participates in a federal meals program, we will notify the school that your child qualifies for free meals, unless you ask us not to. You won't have to fill out the school's meal application form.

Other Food Help

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

3SquaresVT is Vermont's name for the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Formerly called food stamps, it is a program of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).

The U.S Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at program.intake@usda.gov

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).  

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish, or call the State Information Hotline (the numbers can be found online at http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/contact_info/hotlines.htm).

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.