Concerns & Complaints

woman on phoneThe work we do requires us to make difficult decisions on a daily basis—ones that affect people's lives and that not everyone will agree with. To make sure the decisions we make are in the best interest of the individuals, families, and children involved, we need to:

  • Hear from you if you have concerns;
  • Listen with an open mind; and
    Learn from what you have to say.

If you have a concern/complaint about a decision we've taken, the lack of action on our part, or the way you've been treated, we want to hear about it.

Step One

The first step is to talk to the DCF employee who is involved.

Step Two

If you don't feel comfortable talking to this person or are unhappy with the response you get, please contact his or her supervisor.

Step Three

If the issue is still not settled, please contact the appropriate person in the Division you are working with:

  • Child Development Division: Call1-800-649-2642, press "0" to speak to the operator, and ask for the Operations Manager.
  • Disability Determination Services: Contact Trudy Lyon-Hart, DDS Director, at (802) 241-2464. If you disagree with the decision on your disability claim, do not use this process. Follow the instructions on the determination notice you received.
  • Economic Services Division: Call 1-800-479-6151; explain your situation; and ask to be directed to the appropriate manager.
  • Family Services Division: Contact the district director of the District Office you are working with. Read A Guide to Sharing Your Concerns.
  • Office of Child Support: Contact the regional manager of the Regional Office you are working with.
  • Office of Economic Opportunity: Contact Kristin Lyons at (802) 769-6409.

Step Four

If the issue is still not resolved, please call the DCF Consumer Concerns Team at (802) 871-3385 or 871-3390.

You can also write us a letter. Our mailing address is:

Department for Children and Families
Consumer Concerns Team
Commissioner's Office
280 State Drive
Waterbury, VT  05671-1080

Depending on your issue, we may:

  1. Refer you to someone who can help you find the information, programs, or services you are looking for; or
  2. Assign your case to someone in the appropriate division and tell you what is going to happen next.

Once your case is assigned, you should hear from someone within a few days.

The Consumer Concerns Team uses a computer tracking system to make sure consumer concerns/complaints are documented, tracked, and resolved in a respectful and timely way. The system automatically alerts staff members involved in the case of any actions taken and any issues that still need to be resolved.

If you have a compliment, we'd like to hear from you! It's also important to hear about what we are doing right.