Child Care Consumer Line

If you have questions or concerns about a child care provider in Vermont, call the Child Care Consumer Line: 1-800-649-2642 toll free in Vermont.

Get Information about Child Care Providers

Get information about specific providers, including when they became licensed; whether they have any accreditations or STARS ratings; and if they have been cited for licensing violations in the past year.

Voice a concern 

Typical concerns reported include a lack of supervision, too many children, unqualified or not enough staff, inappropriate guidance and discipline, an unsafe environment, and unregulated child care.

Make a formal complaint about a child care provider

There are two ways you can register a formal complaint about a child care provider/program:

  1. Call the Child Care Consumer Line at 1-800-649-2642.
  2. File a complaint online using the the Bright Futures Information System.
What happens with complaints?
  • A licensing field specialist may contact the person making a report, then conduct an investigation.
  • The investigation may include interviews with the child care provider, families, and community agencies.
  • The investigation may also include an unannounced visit from a licensing field specialist.
  • A determination will be made as to whether there is evidence of a violation of the child care regulations.
  • If violations are substantiated the licensing field specialist may require a program improvement plan or other corrective action.
  • Child Care providers have the right to appeal any violations.

For more information about the Consumer Line, download the Child Care Consumer Line Brochure.

Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect. The Child Care Consumer Line does not handle reports of child abuse or neglect. If you suspect that a child is being abused or neglected, call 1-800-649-5285 to report it — 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.